The election-methods mailing list (or the EM-list) is a mailing list that was started in 1996 and continues to host discussions with electoral system experts and activists.
- Official website: https://electorama.com/em/
- Subscription information: http://lists.electorama.com/listinfo.cgi/election-methods-electorama.com
- Archives (2015 and later): http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/
- Archives (1996 through 2018): https://electorama.com/em/archive.html
The list is for discussion of the nitty-gritty details of single-winner election reform, the relative merits of different proportional representation systems, and the technical underpinnings of all election methods. "election-methods-list" discussions tend to be technical in nature (or at least, very laden with jargon), with the ultimate goal of providing recommendations and educational material to the electoral reform movement.
1996 through 2003Edit
The list was started in 1996 by Rob Lanphier.. It was started as an unofficial spinoff to the "ER-list", which was more concerned about promoting single-winner STV than diving into the weeds about the theory of electoral systems.
During its first few years, it was on eskimo.com, and was originally a "Majordomo" list.
2003 until todayEdit
In 2003, the list moved to the newly-formed Electorama.com website on Dreamhost, and transitioned to becoming a GNU Mailman-based mailing list. EM-list remains hosted on Dreamhost, but the old "Electowiki" wiki, hosted on Dreamhost was copied the Miraheze infrastructure in 2018 and rebranded "electowiki" (with a lowercase "e"). The old "Electowiki" wiki is still running to serve up history of articles written prior to 2018.
The archives and the latest subscription information for EM-list can be found at:
- main article: EM25
This section contains a couple of items about the future of the EM-list (as of February 2021):
C4ES Election Theory ForumEdit
- First message to the new EM-list on February 15, 1996: http://lists.electorama.com/pipermail/election-methods-electorama.com/1996-February/065327.html
- Rob Lanphier is "User:RobLa" on this wiki
- [EM] election-methods list move -- Rob Lanphier, 2003 March 4
- Announcement from the Center for Election Science: https://forum.electionscience.org/t/alternatives-to-the-ces-forum/699 (author: Felix Sargent, Chair of C4ES)
- "Gambling to Select for Robustly Functional Voting Algorithms". Voting Methods Forum. 2021-02-05. Retrieved 2021-02-12.