- Parent: Help:Contents
As an editor, it's always courteous to sign messages on any talk pages when leaving messages. There's a couple of different external help pages that may be helpful to learn more about this topic:
- mw:Help:Signatures - the mediwiki.org "Help" page.
- wikipedia:Help:Signatures - the en.wikipedia.org "Help" page.
See below for more about how "
~~~" (3 tildes) and "
~~~~" (4 tildes) and "
~~~~~" (5 tildes) are expanded in wikitext
When editing wikitext on talk pages (i.e. with "Edit source"), the following rules apply for tildes.
- Three tildes in a row (i.e. "
~~~") puts the editor's username
- Four tildes in a row (i.e. "
~~~~") puts the editor's username and a timestamp (whatever the time is on the server when you save your changes)
- Five tildes in a row (i.e. "
~~~~~") puts only the timestamp.