If you have comments to me, and you don't mind making them publicly, please choose "Add topic" in the tabs above. If you wish to make a private comment to me, please send me an email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or choose "email this user" from the "Tools" on the left. The comment sections below are in forward chronological order, with the "#Links" section containing comments from 2005, and newer comments after that.
Re: Links not working as you were expecting; I wasn't sure whether we were wedded to the "Electowiki" name. "Project" is a hard-coded default that will always go the "project" page/namespace. Therefore if we added a page at Electowiki:FAQ, then changed the namespace to "Electoarama:", Project:FAQ would automatically change to Electorama:FAQ. That's why I added the links like that. -- (unsigned 12:07, 24 January 2005 188.8.131.52)
Blanked spam pages[edit source]
Nothing shows up in Recent Changes, but I see that there are two slightly active sysops, you and Homunq. As you might know, I have WMF sysop experience, and I have the bit on some other wikis. I could do some cleanup, like those blanked spam pages, besides if I'm here for that, I might also contribute to some voting systems articles, I have a bit of knowledge and experience there.
I could also create a delete template, for some other admin to use, but ... I thought I'd ask for the sysop bit.
Captcha should be implemented, I'd say, the regular captcha, if possible. I'm sure you know a hundred times as much as I on this. I think that people with regular election methods interest could be encouraged to use this wiki.... --Abd 20:14, 15 October 2012 (PDT)
User account migration[edit source]
Would it be a good idea for you to message everyone on the old wiki through the email system and encourage them to create accounts on this one under the same username? So they take over their existing user pages, as in https://phabricator.miraheze.org/T3624#73414 — Psephomancy (talk) 03:42, 1 January 2019 (UTC)
Electowiki in other languages[edit source]
User:RobLa, what are the options for translating various articles into other languages, so that more readers can access them? I'm somewhat familiar with Spanish, and would be interested in translating several articles if the interface is simple enough. BetterVotingAdvocacy (talk) 04:57, 30 March 2020 (UTC)
- The typical way to do this on a wiki of this size is to append the ISO language code (see https://wiki.secondlife.com for an example). However, I don't think that the content and structure of this wiki is yet mature enough to do a competent job with translation. I could be wrong though. Have you made any edits to the articles on Spanish Wikipedia yet? I would feel more comfortable branching out into Spanish if we had the help of a seasoned editor from Spanish Wikipedia (and you could become that editor, even if you aren't a seasoned editor yet). -- RobLa (talk) 05:08, 30 March 2020 (UTC)
- I can start building experience in doing work on Condorcet articles on Spanish Wikipedia and then report back after some time, sure. Also, I've uploaded several images here that have English text, and can easily change them to other languages if desired, but what would you suggest as the best way to link the various images together? Can an image have different language-versions, or should the modified image be uploaded under a separate title? BetterVotingAdvocacy (talk) 05:21, 30 March 2020 (UTC)
- I've done a good deal of work on the Spanish, Italian, French, and a few other versions of Wikipedia since we last spoke. See [], [], [], etc. which I (User:GreekApple123 on Wikipedia) created. A few of my translations (mostly into Chinese) have been deleted, or (for German or other languages) slapped with "translation needs improvement" tags, but I feel reasonably comfortable with the languages I cited above to start editing in them here. I only plan to translate a few of the articles in Electowiki to start off with, and for those articles I do translate, only some part of them, so you need not worry about the alternate-language versions of the wiki being flooded with hard-to-fix errors by me. So, are you comfortable with this, and if so, how would I get started? BetterVotingAdvocacy (talk) 00:57, 12 May 2020 (UTC)
- I'm not comfortable yet, and I won't be for at least six months. It's going to take more than a couple of weeks for you to become a seasoned and trusted editor on eswiki, frwiki, itwiki, ptwiki, nlwiki, or zhwiki. Barring an influx of new, multi-lingual editors who the Electowiki community trusts, it's no guarantee that a clean, six-month track record on any one of those wikis is going to build the necessary level of trust on Electowiki, since very few of us in the current community speak the languages associated with those other wikis.
- You mentioned: "A few of my translations (mostly into Chinese) have been deleted, or (for German or other languages) slapped with 'translation needs improvement' tags". Was this one of the translations: w:de:Copeland-Methode? I'm very tempted to send a note to the editor who deleted that article and better understand why that particular article was deleted. It would appear from the history of "wikidata:Q5168347 (Copeland's method)" that User:GreekApple123 was responsible for making the interlanguage link to the deleted article. My hunch is that this is one of the new articles you were talking about that was "slapped" with a "translation needs improvement" tag.
- I am deeply appreciative of the people who review and refine the ample prose on this wiki. I think that Electowiki has been improving over the past year, after the prior years of stagnation due to the login issues. But I fear that adding new languages is going to make review much more difficult, since I fear that English prose is being added faster than the current community can review it. Can we review this in late November 2020, after you (and others) have had a chance to establish yourselves as trusted editors in those communities? -- RobLa (talk) 03:01, 12 May 2020 (UTC)
- I only just now found out from checking your link that they deleted the German translation I made for the Copeland method. Bummer. Anyways, I made a translation of the Smith set article into Chinese which got deleted; that's the main one. The "translation needs improvement" was added to the Smith set article translation I made into German.
- Anyways, I am okay with waiting until November, or really any time before or after that, to bring this discussion back up again, though I myself am probably not going to have done enough translation work by that point to become a trusted editor. For now, if you're okay with it, I might add links to some articles saying "Here is a draft translation of this article into these languages:" linking to user pages with translations; that should be a workable solution for now. BetterVotingAdvocacy (talk) 03:22, 12 May 2020 (UTC)
If you'd like to add a new topic, please give it a title that you add via Wikitext. If you don't do that, I'll be forced to give your new section a title, and you may not like it. -- RobLa (talk) 05:15, 19 May 2020 (UTC)
I have a lot to say about identity. But maybe we should have a conversation about it over on User_talk:RobLa/identity. I highly encourage y'all to create
User:wheeeee/identity pages. (at least,
User:wheeeee should create one). -- RobLa (talk) 00:49, 21 May 2020 (UTC)
Recent changes is no longer working.[edit source]
- It's working for me (as of this writing). Are you still seeing a problem with it? If so, the next step will be for one of us to drop a note in the Miraheze bug tracker describing how to reproduce the problem. -- RobLa (talk) 16:51, 16 July 2020 (UTC)
- I'm just going to test a hunch: could you try doing the following steps? The steps:
- go to an incognito window in your browser ("Incognito" in Chrome, "Private Window" in Firefox)
- Visit this URL (but don't close the private window):
- Now log in (still in your private window)
- See if it's still broken
- This might help us diagnose the problem. I'm still going to file a Phab task for you, but I'm curious... -- RobLa (talk) 21:04, 17 July 2020 (UTC)
- Hey, I think I found the cause of this but either my internet gave up on me or IRCCloud and Discord both went down. I updated the Phabricator ticket Rob opened and will take it as a sign I should sleep. Those with issues should change there max days shown in RecentChanges down to a smaller amount and I will have a look in the morning. Thanks, RhinosF1 (talk) 21:36, 17 July 2020 (UTC)
- Assuming I was meant to visit the page from the private window, what I get is this:
- Central user log in
- No active login attempt is in progress for your session.
- Return to the previous page.
- So it seems to still be broken! Kristomun (talk) 10:30, 18 July 2020 (UTC)
- I'm just going to test a hunch: could you try doing the following steps? The steps:
- The issue is now Fixed. RhinosF1 (talk) 15:48, 18 July 2020 (UTC)