From: Rob Lanphier (User:RobLa) To: you! whoever you are reading this webpage Date: 03:39, 27 May 2020 (UTC) Updated: 06:03, 12 October 2021 (UTC) Subject: Welcome! (and a few words of "wisdom" from a stubborn admin who co-created Electowiki in 2005)
Hi editors of electowiki!
If you're reading this page, there's a reasonable chance that I pointed you to this page. Assuming you are a new editor: welcome! Here's a few tips, and things to keep in mind as you contribute to electowiki:
- We're watching you.... - You may have been pointed here because I was watching Special:RecentChanges, and noticed that you made a change to one of the pages. I'm kind of obsessive about doing that, and many other editors here are too. Don't worry about it, it's pretty standard on a wiki like this one. It's how we make sure that new editors aren't actually vandals coming to trash this wiki. If I sent you a welcome message, I'm probably not too worried about you. (yet...don't push your luck
- User pages - You can read all about me on my user page (User:RobLa). You may have been pointed to this page because you're new here, and hadn't put anything on your user page. If that's you, then when visiting Special:RecentChanges, you will probably see a red hyperlink associated with your username. I would appreciate it if you filled a little something in there, even if it's "I'm new here, please help me even though I want to remain anonymous." Or "I'm new here, and here's a webpage you can use to learn more about me: https://www.example.com ". I get a little fussy about pseudoanonymity, but other users here don't, and have elected not to reveal their real identity. Also Note: if you want to have a user page for all Miraheze wikis, please visit meta:Global user page to learn more.
- Timestamps - I'm writing this in the early evening of 2020-05-26 in the Pacific timezone. However, you'll see from the date above that it's "03:39, 27 May 2020 (UTC)" in UTC, which is the international standard timezone. Since we have editors in other parts of the world (not just in the United States), we just use "UTC" rather than Eastern time. See the "UTC" article on this wiki to learn more about UTC and why we use it here.
- Conflict of interest - I have long been cranky about conflict of interest editing (and as of 2021-09-28, I still am). My fear is that staff members and board members of various electoral reform organizations (like FairVote and C4ES) could start editing electowiki, and talk about how great their electoral reform organization is. While I don't think that an organization with a multi-million-dollar annual budget (like the previous two) would risk their reputation by doing that (because that would be incredibly dodgy), it wouldn't surprise me if smaller organizations (and zealous individuals) would be willing to take that risk. I don't mind it when editors pseudo-anonymously make typo fixes or grammar fixes to articles, but I get a little upset when they start making changes that I can't review, and other reviewers aren't keeping up.
- Code of Conduct - well, there's the written code of conduct (found Code of Conduct) and then the version that exists in my head. I'm starting to develop it over at https://robla.miraheze.org/wiki/Bill_of_Responsibilities , but I haven't articulated enough of it. Regardless, I ask that you treat each other with respect, and that you act like someone that has more questions than answers. I'll probably ask a lot of questions, and some of them might be genuinely dumb questions, but please be patient with me, too.
Please feel free to edit anything you like to edit (even the Main Page). Don't feel bad if one of us (including me) reverts your change almost immediately. These things happen. We use English Wikipedia's "BOLD, revert, discuss cycle" as our standard practice here too. Or at least, I should. I need to start reverting people more....
Rob Lanphier (User:RobLa)
Versions of this memo:
- v1 - 03:39, 27 May 2020 (UTC) - original memo
- v2 - 04:12, 13 June 2020 (UTC) - added bit about the the updated code of conduct that we need to have here.
- v3 - 02:04, 11 July 2020 (UTC) - fixed a couple of interwiki links to pages on English Wikipedia
- v4 - 06:18, 1 November 2020 (UTC) - Updating to link to meta:User:RobLa/Global user pages and Electowiki:History
- v5 - 22:08, 28 September 2021 (UTC) - Updating link to 'meta:Global user pages'
- v6 - 06:03, 12 October 2021 (UTC) - Fixing link to meta:Global user page, and verifying my work before submitting. Also updating text about UTC